IEEE Press conference during the Smart Grid World Forum in Beijing
IEEE is the world’s largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE was looking for PR support in China prior to the Smart Grid Word Forum (SGWF) taking place in Beijing from September 28 to September 29, 2011. The scope of work included an integrated approach combining web, social networking and media relations.
The EASTWEST PR and Interprose teams were appointed to organize PR activities for IEEE prior to the SGWF 2011 forum with the end goal of media coverage for IEEE and their spokespeople. EASTWEST delegated 4 bilingual PR consultants and 1 professional photographer to be onsite throughout the entire event.
EASTWEST leveraged creative PR tactics to increase IEEE’s visibility, get coverage for IEEE and their spokespeople. This includes but is not limited to:
- Recommend trending media topics for IEEE executives to comment on.
- In order to ensure the maximum media attention, EASTWEST identified the attractive angles and secured 4 email interviews from key media prior to the event.
- Drafted media invite, and invited key media to attend the media roundtable
- Contacted key media from different sectors and secured 4 one-to-one interviews with the spokespeople of IEEE.
- Coordinated with logistics and necessary facilities needed before the event.
- Organized and conducted media interviews.
- Offered on-site media management with the presence of EASTWEST’s bilingual consultant.
- Filmed IEEE’s spokespeople after the media roundtable, which increased positive media exposure.
- Assisted with material design including a brochure and booth. Created Chinese webpages of this event.
- Leveraged social media before, during and after the event for more exposure.
- Used pictures and video to represent IEEE as a thought leader.
- Media follow-up and coverage monitoring to help client know the ROI of EASTWEST’s efforts.
- 28 media in attendance to the media roundtable
- 4 one-to-one interviews arranged for IEEE executives including Jim Prendergast, Chuck Adams and Gordon Day
- 21st Century Business Herald – Ms. Zhang Han, Reporter
- China Economic Times – Ms. Zhang Na, Reporter
- Science &Technology Daily – Ms. Zhang Jiaxing, Reporter
- Energy Review – Mr. Yu Tao, Editor
- 4 email interviews securedfrom mediapost event
- 4 video interviews carried out with IEEE’s spokespeople Jim Prendergast, Chuck Adams, Gordon Day and Mei Shengwei
- 3 press releases distributed on newswire which generated 90 clippings within two days
- 16 press articles published shortly after the media roundtable
- 12 media confirmed to publish news/articles in late October or November
- 300 follower increase on Sina Weibo during the event; 14 posts and 7 photos published with 62 re-tweets and 15 comments
Attended media list